Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Background

Looking back on it, I started having symptoms of fibromyalgia since about 12-years-old. I have visited dozens and dozens of doctors since that age for symptoms including fatigue, numbness, hypoglycemia, depression, chest pain, "arthritis" in my hands, "fasciitis" in my feet, frequent urination, crippling menstrual cramps, and "a poor immune system" because I caught everything I was ever exposed to.

I don't want to go into the fibro itself too much, but my primary doctor finally figured out this August that that was the problem. It took 2 months of straight muscle aches despite perfect blood tests for him to realize what I had.

I went to the Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Center in Fort Worth and got a bunch of blood tests that aren't typically done. So, now I'm on some thyroid medicine and a couple of other things I can't remember right now... oh, yeah, memory issues is another symptom... something that helps me get restorative sleep, some wonderful pain killers, and vitamin B.

Separately, I did a great deal of reading on my own and read What Your Doctor May NOT Tell You About Fibromyalgia and learned about the guaifenisen protocol. I decided to try this as well as continuing the other treatments because if it works, I should eventually feel normal- not cured, but well more than unwell, which is not what I am experiencing now. I decided to record my experience because 1. it's easier to see if there is really progress if I have a record, and 2. there are a couple of my friends with fibro and a 12 year old daughter who is now exhibiting symptoms who are using me as a guinea pig to see how it works for me before they try it, so they can watch my progress on here, too. The guai protocol states that for every year that one has fibro, it takes 3-4 months to clear out one year of built up phosphates, so it will take me a long time to fully "clear out" but I'm okay with that. Here's hoping for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment