Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Cold Weather Hurts

The metroplex is essentially frozen over. UTA has been closed down for two days, Brooklyn's home today again, too. I'm not even going outside, and I hurt from it. It makes me wonder if moving to Cedar City, like I had planned, is a good idea. I don't know if it is the cold or the abrupt changes that is causing the problem. We don't usually have this kind of weather in Texas. The ache, for me, is in my neck and shoulders, hands... those are the worst. Then in my arms and thighs sometimes and lower back. This week, I have a new pain in my left shoulder blade. It feels like it's stuck. I don't know how else to explain it. Sigh... I sound like an old lady. The weirdest thing is that there are traveling pains, so I'll wake up and have a terrible pain in an odd spot like my knee, but then the next day it will be gone. Dr. Amand explains that the body can't quite catch up with the phospates moving around (I think that's correct), so they move around trying to avoid capture, as I see it.
A friend of mine who shares my office at UTA is in her early 40's has had cancer- 2 types at the same time, in fact. She went through all last year with treatments, had something inserted into her side so she could have portable cancer treatments. She never quit school or teaching, and knowing her, still got better grades than anyone else- I know she passed Old English, which is supposed to be impossible the first time you take it. Now, her heart is damaged by the chemo, and she may have to get a pacemaker put in. She's a powerhouse and a wonderful example of perserverence. But, when she heard I had fibro, she said, essentially, "Wow, I don't know how you do school and teaching with that." I was so dumbfounded. Next time I see her, I am going to tell her, "Are you kidding me?!!" I guess it goes to show that the trials we are each given are the ones we each can deal with. I'm not thrilled with the fibro but I see it as an inconvenience and something to try to conquer as much as possible. There are so many worse things to me.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting your Guai journey. I have used it in the past but am not doing it now. I do plan to start back again sometime early this year. Your blog is helping push me toward that. I know that shoulder blade pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad it's helping you. I know I won't remember anything otherwise unless I write it down. The shoulder pain's a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete